Today at the Indianapolis 500: Thursday, May 17, 2018 Practice

Facebooktwitter

Practice for the Indianapolis 500

With high chances for rain on the horizon, day three of Indianapolis 500 practice today will be all the more important as teams prepare for the 102nd running of this grand race on May 27.

Yesterday was the first full day of practice for the entire field as each of the 35 cars set times over the seven hour session.  The day started with practice opening at 11:00 a.m. as a slew of teams waited eagerly on pit road.

At the end of the session’s first hour, Dale Coyne Racing veteran Pippa Mann completed the final phase of her veteran refresher program and became the 35th and final car cleared for free practice the rest of the month.

The session was slowed five times by yellow flag periods, three of which were for a track inspection, one for debris in the afternoon and one caution for Tony Kanaan, who ran his A.J. Foyt Racing Chevrolet out of gas and stalled on the backstretch.  The AMR IndyCar Safety Team retrieved the stranded Brazilian and practice resumed without incident.

Leading the charts on Wednesday was Andretti Autosport’s Marco Andretti who posted a quick lap that averaged 227.053 MPH.  The lap was aided by a draft and was the only lap turned in the 227 MPH range.  Andretti was followed by three of his Honda peers on the time sheet with Scott Dixon, Takuma Sato and Robert Wickens filling out the top four.

On the no-tow leaderboard it was Chevrolet who continues to impress with single-car speed.  The A.J. Foyt Racing stable has been the most improved squad to date as they placed Kanaan on the top of the no-tow leaderboard with a fast lap of 223.048 MPH.  His teammate, rookie Matheus Leist, missed Tuesday practice and promptly placed his car fourth-fastest without a tow with a lap of 222.147 MPH.

Also filling out the top six drivers on the no-tow leaderboard were Ed Carpenter (2nd, 222.754 MPH) who was quickest without a tow on Tuesday, Sebastien Bourdais (3rd, 220.931 MPH), Alexander Rossi (5th, 222.139 MPH) and Charlie Kimball (6th, 221.705 MPH).

Today, teams will again have seven hours of on-track time and great weather is in the forecast – at least for Thursday.  For Fast Friday tomorrow, Accuweather.com is forecasting a 60% chance of thunderstorms while Saturday (Bump Day) has a 40% chance of rain.  Sunday’s Pole Day is not looking favorable either, with the experts forecasting a 60% chance of rain.

Check out our daily quick reference guide below and stay tuned to Open-Wheels.com for the latest updates from the 102nd Indianapolis 500.

Indianapolis 500 Practice | Thursday, May 17, 2018

Stream/Timing and Scoring: RaceControl.IndyCar.com

Indianapolis 500 Entry List: Click Here

Combined Practice Results from Day Two: Click Here

Recap from Day Two: Click Here

Schedule of Events
8 a.m.-6 p.m.: Ticket and Credential Office Open
10 a.m.: Public Gates Open
11 a.m.-6 p.m.: Indianapolis 500 Practice
6 p.m.: Public Gates Close

Tickets: $15 (General Admission). Kids 15 and under are free accompanied by adult with ticket.

Public Gates Open Today: Gates open at 10:00 a.m. and close at 6:00 p.m.; entry points are Gates 1, 1B, 2, 4, 5B Media, 6, 7, Vehicle, 7 South, 9A, 10, 10A

Seating Options: Mounds: Backstretch, Turn 2, Turn 3, Turn 4. Stands: B Penthouse (Sections 22-25), Gasoline Alley Roof, E Stand (Sections 1-4), E Penthouse, North Vista wheelchair, Northwest Vista (Sections 1-4), Northwest Vista Deck, Paddock (Sections 9-12), Pit Road Terrace, South Terrace, South Wheelchair Deck, Tower Terrace Wheelchair, Tower Terrace (Sections 37-42).

Parking Lots Open: (Inside Lots 10 a.m.) Limited Free: North 40, Turn 3, Lot 3P. ADA: 3P (free), Hulman lot (limited free), West Museum (limited free), North 40.

IMS Museum Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., $15 IMS Gate Admission for Indianapolis 500 plus Museum Admission ($10 Adult, $5 Ages 6-15, Free 5 and under). Entrance into the grounds is free of charge on non-event days. However, during events the Indianapolis Motor Speedway charges an admission fee or requires a ticket to enter the grounds. This general admission fee or ticket price does not include admission to the Museum.

Images courtesy of INDYCAR Media.

Tanner Watkins

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.